Tuesday, April 18, 2017

A Mess-Free Earth Day

I love Earth Day! I used to love doing activities with my 3rd graders and 5th graders when I was a teacher. Now, I am excited to talk about Earth Day with my own kids. Olivia loves to paint but let's face it...she makes a huge mess! I am perfectly okay with that, but I knew this activity would end up a big blob on a plate if I didn't take some measures to make it "mess-free." :)


First, I prepped the activity! It wasn't hard, as you can see below...but I needed to have it all set up before I showed it to her. 


Just take a paper plate, a gallon baggie, and some blue and green paint. At first, I put the plate in the baggie and I was just going to squirt the paint in the bag, but I decided pulling the plate out was better, then I squirted paint on the plate and slid it into the bag. 


Basically, I just squirted the colors in various spots where I knew land and water are on Earth. :) I am no geography whiz though! lol.


Next, I taped it....PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP! lol. I didn't take a picture of it, but it is so important! I used packing tape! Then, let the little one squish, squish, squish! 


After a few minutes, this was the finished product. 


Disclaimer: I took the plate and bag away from her before she wanted to be done. lol. I knew it would be a big green/blue blob if I let her keep going. Needless to say, she was sad...really sad...that I took it away. (mommy fail) lol. So...I squirted some more paint in a bag, taped it, and let her continue. Maybe that is spoiling her, or maybe I was just glad she liked the activity...the world will never know. But just a mommy tip...you may want have a spare baggie with paint on hand for when you snatch away the real one. :)

What do I love most about this? There was no clean up! lol. None. So I hope you enjoy this activity! 

Have a great week!
Hillary








No comments:

Post a Comment